Wednesday 20 April 2011

Sound Advice?

I'm preparing for a talk I'm giving to a corporate's diversity group this week, and found myself remembering some of the best and worst advice I've been given in terms of my career.

The best;
1. know yourself and
2. be yourself

And the worst (well not advice actually but memorable all the same) from my headteacher on the day I left school, 'you'll never make anything of yourself because you talk too much'. Luckily that comment didn't put me off, but I'd imagine it might have a different effect on other people.

I'd love to hear your thoughts - what great and/or terrible advice have you received?

Drop me a note coach@lizkentishcoaching.co.uk or post your comments below.

2 comments:

  1. This was not so much advice, but an empowerment when a former boss asked me to sort out an event that was being organised by the firm. They only had 10 acceptances, which included a high profile guest that they really wanted to impress. He asked me to get the attendance rate up to over 100 and I only had 24 hours to do it. I saw him later that day, and told him 'not to worry' as it was going well and the attendee list was growing rapidly, thanks to a big ring round of all our contacts. He told me "I stopped worrying when I asked you to do it this morning." Simple, yet it made me feel incredibly trusted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best advice – learn something new every day.
    Worst advice – girls shouldn’t work in construction. Not so much advice as an explanation for why the forehead of the guy saying it kept the rain off his feet.
    Anyway, I like the advice given to Eddie Izzard by his careers advisor – I advise to get a career.

    ReplyDelete