Friday 14 March 2008

The soundtrack to our lives

I was listening to the radio yesterday as an ageing rocker shared his favourite tracks. This got me thinking about the soundtrack to my life, those songs that capture a moment in time. ‘Vienna’, the song I had my first slow dance to, aged 14, with Roger, who wore a brown leather jacket! ‘Jerusalem’, one of the hymns we chose for Dad’s funeral, a tune which used to make me cry, but now just brings back lovely memories. ‘Truly’, by Lionel Ritchie; that was our first dance as a married couple.

So, last night I dug out some old vinyls, wired up the PC and put them all onto my Ipod. I laughed, cried, and cringed at some of the tracks, and realised just how strong they are as ‘anchors’ – they take us right back to that moment in time, and also enable us to reconnect instantly with the emotions we experienced, good or bad.

So this morning I deleted all the ‘bad stuff’ and just left those tracks that bring joyous feelings. I was even dancing to ‘Disco Inferno’ at breakfast time – what will the neighbours think?!

Why not spend an evening going through your music collection – put together the soundtrack to your life, focus on the great memories and emotions; put them on your Ipod and then you can access those great feelings anytime you need.

And what am I listening to right now? I hold my head up with pride as I tell you, ‘Shang a Lang’ by the Bay City Rollers – I can picture those dreadful trousers right now!

If music be the food of love, play on…

No comments:

Post a Comment